In Her Shell
Thursday, June 01, 2006
  Shoulders
When I arrived in the cafeteria for my Study Hall duty yesterday, the staff assistant on duty told me wryly, "Oh, you might have to go see [the Assistant Principal in charge of dress code violations]."

Me: Huh?

S.A.: [The Principal] was up here during lunch today sending girls down to the office left and right because they were wearing shirts like yours!

(My shirt yesterday looked kind of like this:


except it did not have a supercool race car on it! It was just plain, dark blue.)

Me: I'm confused.

S.A.: Well, he sent a lot of girls down there to change.

This raised my blood pressure for several reasons.

One, I am not secretive about my feelings regarding the inequitable enforcement of the dress code. Two, my professionalism, along with that of my fellow young female colleagues, was called into question earlier this year on a dress code issue, an accusation which was humiliating and later determined to be baseless. Three, with heat and humidity being what it has been these past few days, I would love to see anyone in Administration leave their air-conditioned offices to teach or learn on a block schedule in our stuffy classrooms. Four, due to dust and noise from construction on the building, many of those stuffy classrooms cannot have their windows opened. And Five,

My shirt does not violate the dress code!

The student dress code, that is. There is no written dress code for teachers. Spaghetti straps or tank tops are banned, not high-collared, sleeveless shirts with or without supercool racecar appliques.

I put this out of my mind until this morning, when I happened to be walking into the building at the same time as said Principal. As we walked down the hallway to the Main Office, I observed him directing the following comment to several girls:

P.: Shoulders. Shoulders... Shoulders!

P.: Do you have something to put on? To cover up?

Shoulders. SHOULDERS? Bra straps, OK. Cleavage, clearly. Boobs, of course! (Even 'armpits' I could sort of understand.) But, shoulders? What Victorian mindset have we rolled into? My blood pressure skyrocketed again. This is where the energy is devoted?

The sky was threatening rain this morning. Lucky for me, since I was wearing a jacket, and under the jacket were my shoulders. Exposed. Once again.

Scandal!

 
Comments:
You shameless shoulder baring HUSSY! You should be ashamed! You're nothing but a slut. A British slut!

Every morning there are repeated reminders over the intercom at school about dress code and spagetti straps, etc. I agree that dress codes tend to focus more on the girls than the boys, but at the same time, very few of my boys come to school looking like they have a casting call for a Nelly video after school.

I am wearing a sleeveless shirt today, and the administration won't say a word. On the other hand, one of the male teachers was reprimanded last year for wearing shorts in his 95 degree classroom. I suggested that the male teachers get together and all wear skirts, but nothing came of it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:

In a move that seems to amuse only me, I pull lines from the blogs I hit on the Next Blog button, and arrange them into found poem form.



April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / August 2010 / April 2011 /


Powered by Blogger