In Her Shell
Friday, November 24, 2006
  Black Friday Blues
I just spent the last three hours shopping online. Before I go completely cross-eyed, I thought I'd share (read: hawk) some of my favorite, less-consumery places to buy holiday stuffs.

Uncommon Goods
They have nifty, unusual stuff from individual artisans, plus you can tell them to give a portion of your order price to one of several non-profit organizations.

Proletarian Threads
The name says it all. "C'est pour toi que tu fais la revolution."* -Daniel and Gabriel Cohn-Bendit

Ten Thousand Villages
"Fairly traded handicrafts from around the world." Damn cool stuff.

BuyOlympia
Supports individual artists in and around Olympia, WA. This is where I got my "Reading Is Sexy" t-shirt and messenger bag. Need I say more?

Neighborhoodies
Long-advertised on my sidebar. Design your own threads, bags, etc. I made my "Nerd Alert" hoodie here. Are you sensing a pattern?

Powell's City of Books
The largest independent bookstore in the country, to my knowledge. Amazon can bite me.

Hope that's enough to get you started. Please let me know about anything I've missed!

*"It is for yourself that you make the revolution."
 
Comments:
You know, I look at alot of the tee shirts and stuff and think how cool they are, and then I think "I wish that came in pink."

I think I'm not serious enough to be a revolutionary, although I do love your "reading is sexy" shirt.
 
Lu, if you want something lefty in a more femme-y look, check out the pink "Radical Feminist" shirts at www.feministmajority.org. They are cute!

In my revolution, I would enlist you to be the Mata Hari. ;)
 
Thanks for the shopping tips.

We spent Friday afternoon going to antique stores and thrift shops in Iowa. It's amazing how much better deals are when you don't have a lot of hipsters around. I mean, narrow late 50's/early 60's ties for a buck each!

I did end up borrowing my inlaws' laptop and doing some online shopping that evening, but without buying anything.
 
Ah, for an Iowa close by! We have Pennsylvania, but it's not the same. I covet your hipster ties!
 
www.americanapparel.net

Sweatshop-free t-shirts, even in pink, Lu! My entire summer wardrobe is from American Apparel.
 
Excellent places to go. I like www.elsewares.com, too, as a place to find items made by actual arts/crafts people (it's a little like uncommon goods). I think the pink revolutionary T-shirt seeker might like a grenade necklace (http://www.elsewares.com/commerce/Grenade-Necklace_MPD611.html)

Another good starting point is the American Craft Council. They don't really run a shop, but their show schedules can be used as a guide to some of the country's best artists. Most of their stuff is way outside the realm of affordable for people like me, though.
 
Megan: So true. Although I do take issue with some of their advertising, as does Amy Poehler. ;)

Alasdair: I am now obsessed with the elsewares site. My favorite are the little eggshells with plants growing out of them! Thank you!!
 
:) It is wicked addictive, that site. I like the Punky Monkey and the dynomighty bracelets (especially the bandoleer).
 
Yeah, I've been trying to overlook that myself. . .
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:

In a move that seems to amuse only me, I pull lines from the blogs I hit on the Next Blog button, and arrange them into found poem form.



April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / August 2010 / April 2011 /


Powered by Blogger